A couple of weeks ago I received an email from a friend Ellie Cachette, CEO of ConsumerBell (one of AboutOne’s strategic partners) asking me if I was interested in being a presenter at the Woman 2.0 Founder Friday in New York. I am very proud to be a member of Woman 2.0 and the work they do, so I changed my schedule to be there.
Women 2.0 hosted six global Founder Friday networking mixers for women entrepreneurs and their friends on Friday, February 3, 2012 in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, New York City, Madrid and Barcelona. The event in New York was hosted by Makovsky and Company, the PR agency for Woman 2.0. The event started at 6pm with around 150 attendees enjoying networking with wine and a buffet.
Each of the four presenters spoke for 3 minutes. Amanda Steinberg (Founder & CEO, DailyWorth) presented the top 20 reasons she received funding. I talked about why I founded AboutOne, including my belief in the power of persistence and advice that women should not let their biggest failure in life be to have not aimed high enough. Anu Duggal (Co-Founder, Exclusively.In) revealed her lessons learned while running a company in multiple countries and the one statement that helped her receive funding. The final presenter was Kai Freeman (Co-Founder, House of Mikko), who discussed her tips and tricks on confidence and persistence, ending the presentations with humorous insights.
After the brief presentations – we spent the rest of the evening networking with the amazing Founder Friday attendees.
Just a few of the exciting companies and women I met:
• Ellen Badinelli, from ScanAVERT, a barscanning solution that helps you understand ingredients in medications & compatible substitutes
• Ameeta Sharma, from Kidsvite.com a site for the best local events for kids and family, they started in New York
• Caroline Fernandes, from PrixFixeNY.com, a site that gives you menus and pricing for local restaurants
• Tracy Osborn, founder of WeddingLovely.com, a site that assists you with the wedding planning process
• Caryn Effron, founder of GoGirlFinance, a site aimed to empower and educate women about finances
• Kimberly Weisul, Editor of OneThingNew.com, a site the promises to e-mail you all of the cool news/recipes/books that you didn’t know you were missing
• Elena Alexseeva, from PhotoHand.com, a site that offers affordable photo editing
Be sure to visit Women 2.0 for more interesting updates on women founding startups!